|At the beginning of 2011, our Board revisited the objectives of the Association, as laid out in its Constitution:
1. To promote friendship and co-operations amongst Past Students of Queen Elizabeth School, Hong Kong.
2. To establish closer relationship between Members of the Association, the School and the existing students thereof.
3. To establish a network with all other Queen Elizabeth School Old Students' Associations.
4. To advance and promote education, and to contribute to funds from whence activities for the benefit of education may be supported.
5. To promote and sponsor intellectual, cultural and charitable activities among the membership and Chinese Canadians.
Our Board and advisors (Henry Lee, Nancy and James Tang, George Wong and Max Wong) felt the need to enhance the relationship of
members across generations, to promote a stronger sense of belonging to the Ontario Chapter, and to reflect the QES spirit through
contributing to the local community as a group. We would like to be able to attract more participation and involvement of our members.
In a brain-storming session, we explored and proposed various types of activities:
• regular physical or sporty activities such as ping-pong and dancing,
• dim sum lunches that may include talks on topics of interest to members,
• regular discussion or debate forums on current affairs and issues (either face-to-face or through the web),
• charitable/volunteer activities,
• communication-enhancing new technologies, such as blogs and social networking,
• mentoring or tutoring the next generation of members, and
• nurturing mutual support among members so that our Association becomes a helpful resource for our members.
To solicit input from our members, a questionnaire was distributed via email in March. Based on the initial responses, we have identified
four directions, and as you can see, we have planned our programs around those directions:
1. Mass Events
June 4 (Sat) - Spring Lunch & Talk by Ms. Rebecca Ling, Chartered Accountant
(Details on Upcoming Events)
Oct 15 (Sat) - AGM Dinner
(Please watch for more details in our future correspondence.)
2. Informal Activities
Ping-pong is one of the most favoured activities indicated in the responses to the questionnaire. We have set aside two ‘trial’ dates
(June 15 and July 20, both Wednesdays, starting from 7:30pm) for our members to play ping-pong and badminton at the North York
(Chinese) Baptist Church. Come and join us for a relaxing evening and have a fun game with your friends and former classmates!
Please call Ivy Yan at 416-889-4062 if you are interested in this activity.
|Introducing our new directions and activities, for 2011 and beyond